DUMAGUETE CITY, Sept. 1 (PNA) — With over 400 policemen from Negros Oriental being deployed to Cebu as part of the ongoing Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation 2015 (APEC 2015) summit, the remaining police force in Negros Oriental is doing extra duty hours, according to officer-in-charge provincial director Sr. Supt. Dionardo Carlos.
Carlos said it was the instruction of the Chief PNP that only five percent of the entire police force would do the administrative duties while 95 percent for police operations.
Police personnel temporarily taken out of administrative duties have to do extra patrolling of the streets in the morning and in the evening, the set up of which is doing well.
He added that police officers on schooling were also recalled temporarily during the duration of the APEC summit to help in day-to-day police operations. Of the more than 400 policemen being deployed to Cebu, 40 are from Dumaguete City.
In Dumaguete City, barangay intelligence network (BIN) members and other volunteer groups and other force multipliers have been activated including the barangay tanods.
As site task force commander in Negros Oriental, Carlos said he would ensure nothing untoward incident happens when APEC summit participants make quick visits to tourist destinations in the province.
He thanked the cooperation extended by owners of resorts, hotels, restaurants and tour operators in assuring that the stay of visitors here would be memorable and as safe as possible while APEC assistance desks were being established in seaports and the airport in Dumaguete City.
The tourist police is also being mobilized to patrol the beaches and resorts, where these visitors would want to stay while in the province even as the minister from Peru had already made a quick visit to the province. (PNA)