By Ferdinand G. Patinio
MANILA, June 9 (PNA) — The Department of Health (DOH) assured on Tuesday that the Philippines remains safe from the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome–Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) despite confirming reports that a South Korean couple visited the country over the weekend.
It was reported that the foreigners have defied the quarantine protocol being implemented in South Korea, which has been hit by the deadly virus.
“To date, the Philippines is still safe, still MERS-CoV-free,” said DOH Epidemiology Bureau officer-in-charge Dr. Vito Roque in an interview.
“There was indeed a couple. They indeed went to the Philippines and they indeed came back to South Korea,” he added.
Roque noted that they have been given assurance by their counterparts in South Korea that the couples are not manifesting any signs and symptoms of MERS-CoV.
“Pilit inuulit ng aming counterparts na asymptomatic sila. Wala silang signs and symptoms ng MERS-CoV,” the DOH official said.
With this, Roque urged arriving passengers in the Philippines to fill up honestly and completely the Health Declaration Checklist at the country’s airports.
A total of 95 MERS-CoV cases, including seven deaths, have already been reported in South Korea since last month. (PNA)