TACLOBAN CITY, Dec. 4 (PNA) — The city government of Tacloban implemented forced evacuation of residents living along coastal villages in this city.
City Mayor Alfred Romualdez and law enforcement personnel from the Philippine National Police and the Philippine Army will visit Friday every village that are prone to storm surges to check the implementation of forced evacuation.
A total of 31 out of 138 villages in the city are located along coastline, said Ildebrando Bernadas, head of the city disaster risk reduction management office.
The city government has identified more than 50 structures as evacuation centers including the Tacloban City Convention Center and schools in San Jose and San Fernando that are heavily damaged by super typhoon Yolanda last year.
Even with this identified evacuation centers, Bernadas said that this is not enough that even some unfinished permanent housing units in the northern villages will also be used to house evacuees.
Aside from those living along coastal areas, residents living in landslide prone areas are also asked to evacuate to safer grounds, according to Bernadas.
Liquor ban will also be implemented in the city this evening as part of the city government precautionary measures for super typhoon Ruby, he said.
Contractors of government projects in the city had also sent heavy equipment to the city government which will be used in the clearing operations after the typhoon. (PNA)