By Eddie E. Barrita
CEBU CITY, Nov. 29 (PNA) — Environment officials have declared a “no-build zone” within a 100-meter radius of a growing sinkhole in Barangay Banhigan in the southern Cebu town of Badian.
Badian Municipal Planning and Development Coordinator Adelberto Bruce said the sinkhole reached 11.5 meters in diameter Saturday with an area of 210 square meters and a depth of six meters.
It was only six meters in diameter when found Thursday, he said.
Dr. Eddie Llamedo, spokesperson of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) 7 said so far, only one family living within the 70-meter radius was told to evacuate.
Llamedo said they were awaiting the result of the ground-penetrating radar survey to be endorsed to the central office.
“We need to determine the exact deepness of the sinkhole, its diameter, and if there are other sinkholes nearby,” Llamedo said.
The Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) 7 issued a ground subsidence threat advisory since Thursday to Badian Mayor Rubert Librando.
Llamedo said it is possible that there is a river system underneath the soil and that the intense rainfall caused by tropical depression Queenie weakened the crown or surface of the soil causing it to liquefy.
This might have eventually led to oversaturation and eventually caved in, forming a sinkhole. (PNA)