Skip to content

Philippines Today

home of the Global Filipino

Menu
  • News Stories
  • Regional News
  • Business & Economy
  • Science & Technology
  • International
Menu

Palace welcomes arrest warrant vs Estrada

Posted on June 23, 2014

MANILA, June 23 (PNA) — Malacanang on Monday welcomed the arrest warrant issued by the anti-graft court against Senator Jinggoy Estrada and others involved in the plunder and graft case in connection with the controversial Php10-billion pork barrel scam.

“The issuance of this warrant is a step forward in finding out the truth, which is fundamental in strengthening the trust of our people in our institutions and processes,” said Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda in a press briefing.

Lacierda reiterated his call to the Filipinos to remain vigilant throughout the process as the Sandiganbayan works to fulfill its mandate.

“…Bearing in mind that the outcome should clearly reflect the profound reality –that just as every Filipino is accorded constitutional rights, these rights are to be protected in a manner that is just and in the service of the truth,” he said.

Sandiganbayan Fifth Division chairman Justice Roland Jurado, Justice Alexander Gesmundo and Justice Alex Quiroz signed a resolution finding probable cause to indict Estrada.

Earlier, warrant of arrests were also issued against Senator Ramon Revilla Jr., businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles and 31 others who were charged with one count of plunder and 16 counts of graft.

Also facing plunder charges over the pork barrel scam is Senator Juan Ponce Enrile.

Further, Lacierda downplayed accusations that the government is focused on indictments and arrests of lawmakers who appeared to be in opposition against the administration.

“Just to remind everyone, we already filed a case against one of the allies of the President,” he said, referring to former Customs Commissioner Ruffy Biazon who resigned late last year after he was named respondent in a malversation complaint also in connection with the pork barrel scam.

“Shouldn’t that be as clear, as fundamental that we are color blind with respect to any investigation that involves anyone who are involved in the PDAF (Priority Development Assistance Fund) scam?,” he added. (PNA)

Share this:

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Pinterest
  • More
  • Tumblr
  • Reddit

Related

News Categories

  • Announcement (34)
  • Business & Economy (1,567)
  • Comment and Opinion (74)
    • Random Thoughts (18)
  • Current Issues (425)
    • Charter Change (1)
    • Election (228)
    • Population (6)
  • International (389)
  • Life In Japan (66)
    • Everything Japan (41)
  • Literary (34)
  • Miscellaneous (610)
  • News Stories (5,312)
  • OFW Corner (297)
  • Others (75)
  • People (408)
  • Press Releases (163)
  • Regional News (3,362)
  • Science and Technology (502)
  • Sports & Entertainment (287)

Latest News

  • BSP keeps policy rates anew December 17, 2015
  • NEDA cuts PHL additional rice import for 2016 by 25% December 17, 2015
  • DA cites serious implications of banning genetically modified products December 17, 2015
  • BBL is not yet dead – Drilon December 17, 2015
  • Comelec recognizes Duterte’s CoC for president December 17, 2015
  • NEDA chief sees 2015 growth at 6% despite typhoons December 17, 2015
  • House of Representatives ratifies bicam report on P3.002-T national budget for 2016 December 17, 2015
  • Cebu-based developer invests PHP430M to build 709 townhouse units in north Cebu town December 17, 2015
  • City gov’t eyes P75-M income from economic enterprise December 17, 2015
  • Baguio City LGU presents traffic plan for holiday season December 17, 2015

Archives

Meta

  • Log in
  • Entries feed
  • Comments feed
  • WordPress.org

Science and Technology

  • DOST-ICTO targets 500,000 web-based workers from countryside by 2016
  • (Feature) STARBOOKS: A ‘makeover’ for librarians
  • Science, research reduce ‘cocolisap’ hotspot areas in PHL
  • Montejo to further improve PAGASA and empower scientists
  • 1st PPP in biomedical research produces knee replacement system fit for Asians

Press Releases

  • Microsoft to buy Nokia’s mobile devices business for 5.44-B euros
  • New World Bank climate change report should spur SEA and world leaders into action: Greenpeace
  • Save the Philippine Seas before it’s too late — Greenpeace
  • Palanca Awards’ last call for entries
  • Philippines joins the global call for Arctic protection

Comment and Opinion

  • Remembering the dead is a celebration of life
  • Killer earthquake unlikely to hit Panay Island in near future – analyst
  • It’s not just more fun to invest in the Philippines, it is also profitable, says President Aquino
  • How does one differentiate a tamaraw from a carabao?
  • Fun is not just about the place, it is also about the people, says DOT chief

OFW Corner

  • Ebola infection risk low in Croatia
  • Death toll rises to 41, over 100 still missing in landslide in India
  • Asbestos use in construction a labor hazard
  • 500,000 OFWs to benefit POEA on-line transactions — Baldoz
  • 25 distressed OFWs return home from Riyadh
©2025 Philippines Today | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme