Skip to content

Philippines Today

home of the Global Filipino

Menu
  • News Stories
  • Regional News
  • Business & Economy
  • Science & Technology
  • International
Menu

Policy rates adjustments to have negative effect on financial market this time – BSP

Posted on February 2, 2014

By Joann Santiago

MANILA, Feb. 2 (PNA) — Will the fresh cut in the Federal Reserve’s stimulus program prompt Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) to adjust its policy rates given the continued improvement of the world’s largest economy?.

BSP Governor Amando Tetangco Jr. does not think so saying that “as in the past, the Fed’s moves would only be one of the number of factors we consider in our over-all analysis.”

“Our primary focus for any policy adjustments remains the outlook on domestic inflation over the policy horizon.”

Philippine monetary officials continue to see manageable inflation outlook amid the uptick of domestic inflation rate last December to a two-year high of 4.1 percent due to impact on some commodities of the recent calamities in the Visayas.

Last November, rate of price increases stood at 3.3 percent while full-year inflation rate averaged at three percent, the lower end of the central bank’s three to five percent target for 2013-14.

Since the last 25 basis points cut in the BSP’s policy rates in October 2012, Philippine monetary officials have not touched the policy rates after cutting it by a total of 100 basis points that year.

The series of policy rate cuts were made to help boost growth of the domestic economy and cushion the possible impact of negative external developments on the Philippine economy.

To date, the central bank’s overnight borrowing or reverse repurchase (RRP) rate is at record-low of 3.5 percent while the overnight lending or repurchase rate (RP) is at 5.5 percent.

Last week, the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC ) decided to cut by another US$ 10 billion the Fed’s bond purchases program effective next month after noting the continued improvement in the US economy.

The Committee approved the US$ 5 billion cut in the current US$ 35 billion monthly purchase of mortgage-backed securities and the US$ 40 billion acquisition of longer-term Treasury securities.

This is the second US$ 10 billion cut the FOMC approved for the US$ 85 billion monthly bond purchase program of the Fed. The first cut was made last December and took effect on January 1, 2014.

Tetangco said the decision to further taper the Fed’s bond purchases is an “affirmation that growth in the US is gaining traction.”

“So, this should be, over medium/long term, positive for our own growth story,” he pointed out.

Relatively, the central bank chief said the impact of the new cut in the Fed’s stimulus program would impact on the financial market of emerging market economies (EMEs).

“For this, policy rate changes are not necessarily the most appropriate response at this time,” he said.

“Tweaking policy rates to address short-term financial market volatility could likely create unintended consequences, and heighten volatility even more,” he added. (PNA)

Share this:

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Pinterest
  • More
  • Tumblr
  • Reddit

Related

News Categories

  • Announcement (34)
  • Business & Economy (1,567)
  • Comment and Opinion (74)
    • Random Thoughts (18)
  • Current Issues (425)
    • Charter Change (1)
    • Election (228)
    • Population (6)
  • International (389)
  • Life In Japan (66)
    • Everything Japan (41)
  • Literary (34)
  • Miscellaneous (610)
  • News Stories (5,312)
  • OFW Corner (297)
  • Others (75)
  • People (408)
  • Press Releases (163)
  • Regional News (3,362)
  • Science and Technology (502)
  • Sports & Entertainment (287)

Latest News

  • BSP keeps policy rates anew December 17, 2015
  • NEDA cuts PHL additional rice import for 2016 by 25% December 17, 2015
  • DA cites serious implications of banning genetically modified products December 17, 2015
  • BBL is not yet dead – Drilon December 17, 2015
  • Comelec recognizes Duterte’s CoC for president December 17, 2015
  • NEDA chief sees 2015 growth at 6% despite typhoons December 17, 2015
  • House of Representatives ratifies bicam report on P3.002-T national budget for 2016 December 17, 2015
  • Cebu-based developer invests PHP430M to build 709 townhouse units in north Cebu town December 17, 2015
  • City gov’t eyes P75-M income from economic enterprise December 17, 2015
  • Baguio City LGU presents traffic plan for holiday season December 17, 2015

Archives

Meta

  • Log in
  • Entries feed
  • Comments feed
  • WordPress.org

Science and Technology

  • DOST-ICTO targets 500,000 web-based workers from countryside by 2016
  • (Feature) STARBOOKS: A ‘makeover’ for librarians
  • Science, research reduce ‘cocolisap’ hotspot areas in PHL
  • Montejo to further improve PAGASA and empower scientists
  • 1st PPP in biomedical research produces knee replacement system fit for Asians

Press Releases

  • Microsoft to buy Nokia’s mobile devices business for 5.44-B euros
  • New World Bank climate change report should spur SEA and world leaders into action: Greenpeace
  • Save the Philippine Seas before it’s too late — Greenpeace
  • Palanca Awards’ last call for entries
  • Philippines joins the global call for Arctic protection

Comment and Opinion

  • Remembering the dead is a celebration of life
  • Killer earthquake unlikely to hit Panay Island in near future – analyst
  • It’s not just more fun to invest in the Philippines, it is also profitable, says President Aquino
  • How does one differentiate a tamaraw from a carabao?
  • Fun is not just about the place, it is also about the people, says DOT chief

OFW Corner

  • Ebola infection risk low in Croatia
  • Death toll rises to 41, over 100 still missing in landslide in India
  • Asbestos use in construction a labor hazard
  • 500,000 OFWs to benefit POEA on-line transactions — Baldoz
  • 25 distressed OFWs return home from Riyadh
©2025 Philippines Today | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme